^Infra red waves
(a) Also called heat waves & are produced by hot bodies and molecules.
(b) Properties: Heating effect, reflection, refraction, diffraction & propagation through fog.
- In taking photographs during the conditions of fog, smoke etc. as these waves are scattered less than visible rays and hence can travel longer distances through atmosphere under fog, smoke etc.
- In weather forecasting
- In checking the purity of chemicals
- In the study of molecular structures
- For producing dehydrated fruits
- In green houses to keep the plants warm
- To provide electrical energy to satellites using solar cells.
- To treat muscular strain.
- In solar water heaters and cookers.